Realme 8 Pro review – We shouldn’t foresee direct sequels with complete upgrades if the previous Realme series is any indication. More likely than not, we’d get a slightly updated version of the previous generation with a new highlight element – a few tweaks here and there, and hopefully the same price. It is just what the Realme 8 Pro is about.
The latest 108MP main camera on the Realme 8 Pro is the most noticeable improvement over the Realme 7 Pro, promising not only high-quality images and videos day and night, but also 3x lossless zoom thanks to new binning and processing algorithms. The other sensors remain unchanged: an 8MP ultrawide, a 2MP macro, and a 2MP depth sensor.
The Realme 8 Pro also comes with a new grippy build and a sandblasted back cover.
The rest is essentially the same. It retains the same 6.4-inch 1080p Super AMOLED display, Snapdragon 720G processor, and 4,500mAh battery.
There are a few cuts as well. The Realme 8 Pro has only one speaker, charges at a slower rate of 50W, and has a lower resolution selfie frame. Surprisingly, the water-repellent layer has also vanished.
We’re not exactly how the Realme 8 Pro’s thinking processes went, but we’re not major fans of downgrades like this. Let’s hope that the current camera, with its 3x lossless zoom, compensates for the omissions, and that the new interface is also an upgrade.
Realme 8 Pro specs at a glance
- Body: 160.6×73.9×8.1mm, 176g; Glass front, plastic frame, plastic back.
- Display: 6.40″ Super AMOLED, 430 nits (typ), 1000 nits (peak), 1080x2400px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 411ppi; Always-on display.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SM7125 Snapdragon 720G (8 nm): Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver); Adreno 618.
- Memory: 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM; UFS 2.1; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 11, Realme UI 2.0.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 108 MP, f/1.9, 26mm, 1/1.52″, 0.7µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.3, 119˚, 16mm, 1/4.0″, 1.12µm; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f/2.5, (wide), 1/3.0″, 1.0µm.
- Video capture: Rear camera: [email protected], [email protected]/60/120/480fps, [email protected], gyro-EIS; Front camera: [email protected]/120fps, gyro-EIS.
- Battery: 4500mAh; Fast charging 50W, 50% in 17 min, 100% in 47 min (advertised).
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (under display, optical); 3.5mm jack.
In addition to dual-SIM support, the Realme 8 Pro has a 3.5mm socket, NFC, and even a dedicated microSD slot.
The Realme 8 Pro does not seem to be a step up from the Realme 7 Pro or even the Realme 6 Pro. It does, however, have a decent selection of features at a fair price, which should be enough to make it a viable competitor in the oversaturated industry.