An IP address is assigned to any device that you connect to the internet, including your router. The router, however, has its own IP address used by the related devices to connect with it, as well as another one used by the router to interface with the internet.
From troubleshooting your Wi-Fi to letting you watch your favorite shows while on vacation, changing yours will help you with anything.
What’s an IP Address?
A special sequence of numbers containing information about the location of the corresponding device is an IP address, or Internet Protocol address.
When a device connects to the internet, such as a computer, phone, or router, an IP address or identifier is assigned that enables it to communicate with other networks.
Your device gives the website your IP address anytime you access a website. The IP address includes details concerning the device’s world, state (or province), city and ZIP code. This helps the website to deliver the information that you need to the correct venue.
Why Change Your IP Address?
To escape online bans or to circumvent country location constraints that some sites place on video content, some individuals change their anonymous, external IP address.
It is helpful to change the IP address of an application server, phone, or router when:
- An invalid address, like a static IP address in the wrong numeric set, is mistakenly configured.
- Bad addresses are given by a malfunctioning router, such as an address that another device on the network uses.
- Installing a new router to use the existing IP address set and re-configuring the home network.
How to change Router IP Address
You can change the IP address of a router by signing in to the router as the account holder for the administrator. Depending on the router you’re using, the exact steps vary. When you log in as an administrator, you are required to change your IP address.
How to Change Computer IP Address
- Go to your Control Panel.
- Navigate to Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Network Connections.
- You’ll see a list of Ethernet and Wi-Fi connections. Right-click the one you want to change and select Properties.
- Go to This connection uses the following items > Inter Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4).
- Click Properties.
- Choose Use the following IP address.
- Update the IP address to what you want it to be.
- Click OK.
How to Change IP Address on iPhone
The IP address on a mobile device such as an Apple iPhone can also be updated as follows:
- Open the Settings app
- select Wi-Fi.
- Tap the small (i) next to the network and select Configure IP.
- Choose Manual. Enter the network details manually, such as your IP address and DNS information.
How to Change Phone’s IP Address on Android
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi.
- Tap the network for which you want the IP address to be changed.
- Only select Forget.
- From a list of Wi-Fi networks available, tap the network.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Just tap DHCP.
- Choose Static
- Scroll down and fill out the IP address fields.
- At the top of the page, enter the Wi-Fi password.
- Just select Connect.
How to Change IP Address with VPN
Virtual Private Network (VPN) Connects. A VPN will keep your public IP address private and signal that you are connecting to the network from another venue, thus changing your IP address. This happens through an encrypted tunnel, and your operation will not even be clear to your ISP. Check out the ExpressVPN, and NordVPN choices.
Using a server with a proxy. Adjust the proxy settings to configure them automatically in your web browser setup. The Web Proxy (HTTP) setting is good for simple web browsing, but, depending on your needs, you might need more complex settings.